List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: AS5396
From:       <jlewis () lewis ! org>
Date:       2001-09-26 17:51:39

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> > > Second, what is the holy ordained IOS release to run on these boxes?
> >
> > Anything that doesn't crash!
>
> I have a little more refined answer--if it does the job, does not have any
> known vulnerabilities that matter to us, and doesn't crash. . . .

Unfortunately, that version hasn't been released yet.  The really weird
thing about IOS for access servers is that often we'll settle on a version
that works great at the time.  Several months go by, and suddenly that
version that was rock solid is crashing all over the place.
c5300-is-mz.120-4.XJ4.bin was great for a while...then started having this
problem.  I'd suggest trying the latest c5300-is-mz.121.  It seems to work
well, but has some really annoying snmp bugs you're unlikely to run into.

Modem code is usually bundled with IOS...but it's usually some crusty old
version.  sho mod ver will tell you what you're running.  You probably
want to be running 2.7.3.0.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |

-
Recent archives of the list can be found at:
http://mix.twistedpair.ca/pipermail/inet-access/