List:       incubator-general
Subject:    Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SDAP (incubating) 1.0.0-rc2
From:       larry mccay <lmccay () apache ! org>
Date:       2022-12-30 23:39:13

I wanted to lend a hand with the sdap 1.0.0 release review and wanted to
let you know that it seems a bit cumbersome to review.
Perhaps my experience with other projects is limited to similar
conventions, though.

The fact that the src artifacts aren't under a project specific root ended
up polluting my releases directory (where I review releases). This was my
fault for not noticing the missing root but clearly outside my
expectations.

I also notice that each of what I would expect to just be separate modules
have their own tar balls and even github mirrors which is also awkward for
how I expect to review things - though not technically related to typical
review requirements.

These may be seen as less relevant to the specific release at hand and more
for the overall project structure and conventions but they would certainly
help in reviewing.

I note that there are numerous files [1][2][3] and many more that may
require Apache License headers.

You can use something like the following in python files:
#
# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
#

The NOTICE file has a copyright of 2017-2022 still and unless this goes out
in the next couple days that will be out of date.
Duplicate and separate files like NOTICE, LICENSE, DISCLAIMER access
ingester, nexus and nexusproto as well as CONTRIBUTING.md which is in 2 but
not the other point to some organization issues. There should be some
effort put in to possibly make these modules under a common project rather
than what seem like separate projects.

Some of the above make it pretty cumbersome to review even if not
technically blockers.
Addressing these sorts of things early will help contributors feel more
easily able to help out and can help build your community.
It will also help you get releases out easier.

Hope the above is useful for you.
Happy to see a release coming together for the SDAP community and
congratulate you on tackling this milestone!

It isn't clear to me that these should block your initial release - my vote
would be as follows:
-0 for my vote at this time.

1.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-sdap-ingester/blob/dev/collection_manager/requirements.txt