List:       incubator-general
Subject:    Re: Software Grants for GitHub Projects...
From:       Benson Margulies <bimargulies () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-01-31 17:09:48

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Matt Franklin
<m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat Jan 31 2015 at 11:22:15 AM Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 10:55 AM, James Carman
>> <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> > Are there guidelines for these "usual considerations"?
>>
>> (Queue Marvin on the subject of documentation.)
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/
>>
>> My understanding: when a significant body of code arrives all at once,
>> the Foundation desires an SGA. That, however, assumes that one legal
>> entity is granting the license to the whole thing. So, if you have a
>> github repo whose contents are assembled of a uniform distribution of
>> small contributions, there would be no point to an SGA. If, on the
>> other hand, the histogram of contribution size versus copyright holder
>> indicated that some copyright owners contributed 'significant' bodies
>> of code, then SGAs from those entities might be called for. There is
>> no established law that allows the Foundation to set hard criteria in
>> terms of lines of code, so this has to be a judgement call, and people
>> sometimes call upon the VP, Legal for assistance in making those
>> judgement calls.
>>
>> For all the small stuff, the safe path is to get an ICLA from each
>> committer, and an email message positively stating an intent to donate
>> the code.
>

> Yes, this is the safest approach; but, may not be necessary for changes
> that do not represent significant IP.  For instance, our projects accept
> minor contributions through JIRA, without an ICLA.

There's a critical distinction here. Once you have released a product
under the Apache license, people can contribute new things to it under
the terms of the license. The license has very specific language: if
you take code from us, and then send us a contribution (email, JIRA,
github PR, carrier pigeon) that is a derivative of what you took, you
are granting the code to the Foundation.

That doesn't help with the initial import of a project from github or
bitbucket or Jupiter or Mars; none of those contributions met the
criteria in the license of sending a contribution back to the
Foundation, because the code wasn't here in the first place.