List:       incubator-general
Subject:    Re: Identifying and removing inactive mentors
From:       Dave Fisher <dave2wave () comcast ! net>
Date:       2013-03-25 20:47:29

On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:17 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> > ...Simple rule. If mentors don't sign two reports in a row,
> > shepherd checks they are subscribed to the dev list, and then contacts
> > them asking if they still want to be involved. If they don't answer,
> > then the shepherd goes to the podling private list, and tells them that
> > mentor x is not responding - and allows them to act as they wish (most
> > likely seeking an additional mentor)....
>
> That's a lot of work for the shepherd IMO - my proposal to just have
> the podling find out if they have adequate mentoring might be a bit
> extreme, but if we ask for an opinion on that in the podling reports
> we should still be fine, don't you think so?

As a shepherd (like many I missed last time, sorry one of those things), I like \
looking at a different flock/podling each time. The diversity is very cool.

I look to see if the podling looks healthy and see if the report indicates if they \
are moving towards graduation and making a release.

In these discussions let's not forget why three mentors are needed and why they \
should all be IPMC members, this is so that three +1 IPMC release votes are possible.

Simple signs of not enough mentors:

- Cannot get releases passed.
- Cannot get IPMC signoff on Committer and PPMC votes.

> It should be relatively easy for the shepherd to check that the
> podling as at least one active mentor, and that mentor should feel
> free to ask for help if they feel they need it.

Yes, reviewing the private and dev lists should give that answer quickly. I would \
have to review my shepherd reports, but I think that podlings are more likely to have \
a release, community or infra issue than a mentor issue.

One thing that Flex did was to use a [MENTOR] tag on emails when they wanted our \
advice. This helped given the huge volume of emails. Of the four mentors, three were \
active ...

I'm not mentoring at the moment, and won't until I think I have the time. MemoryMap \
is interesting, but...

Regards,
Dave