List:       incubator-general
Subject:    Re: [PROPOSAL] Curator for the Apache Incubator
From:       Patrick Hunt <phunt () apache ! org>
Date:       2013-02-27 0:49:30

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hey Pat,
>

> On 2/26/13 11:39 AM, "Patrick Hunt" <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>[…snip…]
>>>
>>> Either: (a) define Curator to be its own separate project/community,
>>>with
>>> a goal of TLP;
>>> or (b) nix Incubation and just make these guys part of ZK, on a branch
>>> now.
>>
>>Hi Chris. Unfortunately it's not clear cut to me where Curator should
>>go, perhaps because I'm close to it.
>
> Yep, I think that's part of it, but you're doing good discussing it here,
> and please don't take my comments as criticism. If the answer were to be
> that this project followed the Incubator process, and arrived at TLP, I
> would have *zero* concern. My concern is the implication that this could
> end up as part of Zookeeper (ZK). It's more of a general concern about
> allowing
> that within the Incubator. I'll comment more below.

Hey Chris, no worries on my end what so ever. I appreciate your
insight. If you remember you're the reason I'm in this mess in the
first place. ;-) (you pulled me into my first incubation project as a
mentor, now I'm hooked)

>>My hope was that Curator could come into the incubator, work through
>>the IP issues and other incubation activities, learn about Apache
>>process, and then decide based on the new found insight/experience.
>
> I totally get it.
>
> I'm not questioning you, more of the Incubator here.

That's cool. However changing incubator policy is outside the scope of
this discussion - Curator's specific proposal. That's for a different
day.

> Let me cut to the chase. I *don't* think the Incubator should be home to
> projects
> whose potential destination is as a product of an existing TLP (or
> sub-module).
> I think that leads to a LOT of potential problems down the road, some of
> which
> include:
>
> 1. The dev that happens in the Incubator on new podling X, whose
> destination is TLP
> Y is rarely monitored or seen by those in TLP Y. If it is closely
> monitored, then
> why isn't the new podling part of TLP Y? And if it's not monitored, then
> TLP Y is
> more likely to end up at some forced agreement or bylaw mumbo jumbo to
> assimilate the
> people and products of podling X into the TLP Y.
>
> 2. Creating the new community in the Incubator means that new people will
> be added
> as members of podling X that TLP Y didn't add. We've seen problems with
> TLP Y then not
> wanting to assimilate those podling X PPMC members into the TLP Y.
>
> 3. Sub-modules tend to hide things like sub-projects. I can count on two
> hands how many
> TLPs have went through that process, and all of them typically have had
> hardship and
> crap along the way that I'm trying to save you guys the hassle of
> ("lessons learned")
>
> Instead, if the home for a potential new podling X is TLP Y, my desire
> would be to
> work as an existing member of TLP Y to shepherd the contributions in that
> way.
>

>>The proposal guide talks about this and makes it clear (at least to
>>me) that leaving graduation open is not only an option, but a
>>requirement "Note that the final destination within the Apache
>>organizational structure will be decided upon graduation." Given this
>>I don't see why we'd artificially constrain things up front as you've
>>suggested.
>
> Well the proposal guide is great, and all but it's not doctrine :)

One of my favorites. Either it's not written down, or it is. In either
case its what we want it to be.

> I realize you're in a tough spot here and somewhat in a COI, not exactly
> knowing what the right answer is,
> and I'm not sure I know it either, but my gut instinct based on experience
> for a while
> here indicates that Incubation makes sense here and this is a new
> community and so I won't
> stand in the way of that. I will however, throw up my comments and a fuss
> again if this is another
> situation similar to HCatalog where at the end of this you guys try and
> shove it into ZK
> in any other way of intersect([set of Curator PPMC], [set of ZK PMC]).

My own view is that if it goes into incubation and then to ZK or TLP
we'lll straighten it out. A worse situation would be to lose the
opportunity to try.

> That's my ultimate worry, and the Incubator is not a clearinghouse for
> punting on those
> types of situations at least not the Incubator I would like to participate
> in.

Think about it this way. If we fail miserably you'll have a great
example to use the next time it comes up. ;-)

Patrick