List:       incidents
Subject:    Re: 24 hour strobes from 10.0.x.x
From:       Konrad Michels <konrad () overnetdata ! com>
Date:       2001-08-23 8:05:55

I was even more perturbed when I called the support line of my upstream
provider and the response was "huh?" and, after putting me on hold for a
while, "Sorry, there is nothing we can do about it from here - call your
account manager"!

What our account manager was going to do about it was a little beyond
me, but I called her anyway.  Her line was busy, so I left a message and
have still not been called back!  Surprise surprise!

Given the raft of problems we've had with our upstream provider to date,
I can't say the response was unexpected.

Unfortunately, I inherited the firewalls when I got here, and while they
are fairly decent ones, they have a windoze only gui (even though the
firewall itself is a customised version of Linux & ipchains), which only
allows me to deny packets and not drop them.

I was busy configuring a Linux box with iptables yesterday to put
between the router & the firewall to create a black hole for the
packets, but just before I finished, the attack stopped!  Go figure!

Graham Bignell wrote:

* Please note that I will not be in the office     *
* on Friday 24 August.                             *