List:       incidents
Subject:    Proxy server object cache poisoning?
From:       Abe Getchell <agetchel () KDE ! STATE ! KY ! US>
Date:       2000-09-29 18:49:28

Hey all,
	I was wondering if anybody has seen this form of attack in their
environment?  Proxy object cache poisoning is the act of replacing an object
that has been cached by a proxy server with a compromised copy of that
object (kind of like DNS cache poisoning where www.metallica.com points too
Napster's site for some reason <g>).  For example, a hacker breaks into a
proxy server for a large organization.  (S)He has access for a week when the
next servicepack is released for Windows 2000.  (S)He replaces the cached
file on the proxy server with a compromised version that includes a trojan.
Every admin who then downloads the servicepack from that point on gets a
compromised copy and the trojan runs rampant in the organization.
	This can be a problem on a proxy server that stores their files as
renamed URL's on the hard drive much like Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0.  All
one has to do is find the file out of a bunch of directories (the
'\urlcache' directory in Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0) and replace it with
whatever they like.  Fortunately, this problem has been resolved by MS in
ISA, as all cached data is stored in a database format.  Novell's
BorderManager does the same if I remember correctly.
	So has anybody seen this happen?

Thanks,
Abe

Abe L. Getchell - Security Engineer