List:       incidents
Subject:    starwars.exe -- possible trojan?
From:       "Donald, Nichols" <dnichols () d-and-d ! com>
Date:       1999-07-23 4:56:45

Well ... my wife just got a bogus e-mail (supposedly from her father,
who is long dead, and supposedly to her as a son, which she most
certainly is *not*.

	It included an attachment which was "starwars.exe".  Since I
don't normally run Microsoft OS's, I don't maintain a virus checker.
But I did use "strings" to look through that executable.  I find seven
different ".dll"s named in it -- and I don't know which of them it may
be creating.  I'll give the list here, in case someone else has
encountered some form of the program:

KERNEL32.dll
USER32.dll
GDI32.dll
comdlg32.dll
ADVAPI32.dll
SHELL32.dll
WINMM.dll

	I'm particularly concerned about the SHELL32.dll, and
USER32.dll, but KERNEL32.dll is also of potential concern.

	The following strings were also found within the program:

hockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\DefaultIcon
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open\command
_flash

	My wife is active on the news.admin.net-abuse newsgroups, and
her name has made it into the "people not to spam" list, which could
have been used to target the active anti-spam people.

	The headers did show a few too many machines to make it likely
that it was not delivered by spaming software and techniques.

	Since we don't run Microsoft OS's, and don't have a way to run a
".exe" file anyway, it obviously does not present a threat to our
systems, but I would like to know whether anyone else has encountered
this, and can state whether it is a known trojan or harbours a known virus.

	Thanks all,
		DoN.

--
 NOTE:     spamblocking on against servers which harbor spammers.
 Email:   <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Donald Nichols (DoN.)|Voice (703) 938-4564