List:       incidents
Subject:    CERT Note
From:       Alfred Huger <ah () SECURITYFOCUS ! COM>
Date:       1999-07-23 16:49:41

CERT Incident Note IN-99-04

                    The CERT Coordination Center publishes incident notes
to provide information about incidents to the Internet
                    community.

                    Similar Attacks Using Various RPC Services

                    Thursday, July 22, 1999

                    Overview

                    We have recently received an increasing number of
reports that intruders are using similar methods to compromise
                    systems. We have seen intruders exploit three
different RPC service vulnerabilities; however, similar artifacts have
been
                    found on compromised systems.

       Vulnerabilities we have seen exploited as a part of these attacks
include:

            CA-99-08 - Buffer Overflow Vulnerability in rpc.cmsd

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-08-cmsd.html

            CA-99-05 - Vulnerability in statd exposes vulnerability in
automountd

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-05-statd-automountd.html

            CA-98.11 - Vulnerability in ToolTalk RPC Service

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.11.tooltalk.html

       Description

       Recent reports involving these vulnerabilities have involved very
similar intruder activity. The level of activity and the scope of the
incidents
       suggests that intruders are using scripts to automate attacks.
These attacks appear to attempt multiple exploitations but produce
       similar results. We have received reports of the following types of
activity associated with these attacks:

            Core files for rpc.ttdbserverd located in the root "/"
directory, left by an exploitation attempt against rpc.ttdbserverd

            Files named callog.* located in the cmsd spool directory, left
by an exploitation attempt against rpc.cmsd

            Exploitations that execute similar commands to create a
privileged back door into a compromised host. Typically, a second
            instance of the inetd daemon using an intruder-supplied
configuration file. The configuration file commonly contains an entry that
            provides the intruder a privileged back door into the
compromised host. The most common example we have seen looks like this:

                  /bin/sh -c echo 'ingreslock stream tcp wait root /bin/sh
-i' >> /tmp/bob;/usr/sbin/inetd -s /tmp/bob

            If successfully installed and executed, this back door may be
used by an intruder to gain privileged (e.g., root) access to a
            compromised host by connecting to the port associated with the
ingreslock service, which is typically TCP port 1524. The file
            names and service names are arbitrary; they may be changed to
create an inetd configuration file in a different location or a back
            door on a different port.

            In many cases, scripts have been used to automate intruder
exploitation of back doors installed on compromised hosts. This
            method has been used to install and execute various intruder
tools and tool archives, initiate attacks on other hosts, and collect
            output from intruder tools such as packet sniffers.

            One common set of intruder tools we have seen is included in
an archive file called neet.tar, which includes several intruder
            tools:

                 A packet sniffer named update or update.hme that produces
an output file named output or output.hme

                 A back door program named doc that is installed as a
replacement to /usr/sbin/inetd. The back door is activated when a
                 connection is received from a particular source port and
a special string is provided. We have seen the source port of
                 53982 commonly used.

                 A replacement ps program to hide intruder processes. We
have seen a configuration file installed at /tmp/ps_data on
                 compromised hosts.

            Another common set of intruder tools we have seen is included
in an archive file called leaf.tar, which includes serveral intruder
            tools:

                 A replacement in.fingerd program with a back door for
intruder access to the compromised host

                 eggdrop, an IRC tool commonly installed on compromised
hosts by intruders. In this activity, we've seen the binary
                 installed as /usr/sbin/nfds

                 Various files and scripts associated with eggdrop, many
of which are installed in the directory /usr/lib/rel.so.1

                 A replacement root crontab entry used to start eggdrop

            It is possible that other tools and tool archives could be
involved in similar activity.

            In some cases, we have seen intruder scripts remove or destroy
system binaries and configuration files.

       Solutions

       If you believe a host has been compromised, we encourage you to
disconnect the host from the network and review our steps for
       recovering from a root compromise:

            http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/root_compromise.html

       In many cases intruders have installed packet sniffers on
compromised hosts and have used scripts to automate collection of the
output
       logs. It may be the case that usernames and passwords used in
network transactions with a compromised host, or on the same
       network segment as a compromised host, may have fallen into
intruder hands and are no longer secure. We encourage you to address
       password security issues after any compromised hosts at your site
have been secured.

       You should also review the state of security on other hosts on your
network. If usernames and passwords have been compromised, an
       intruder may be able to gain unauthorized access to other hosts on
your network. Also, an intruder may be able to use trust
       relationships between hosts to gain unauthorized access from a
compromised host. Our intruder detection checklist can help you to
       evaluate a host's state of security:

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/intruder_detection_checklist.html

       We encourage you to ensure that your hosts are current with
security patches or work-arounds for well-known vulnerabilities. In
       particular, you may wish to review the following CERT advisories
for suggested solutions:

            CA-99-08 - Buffer Overflow Vulnerability in rpc.cmsd

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-08-cmsd.html

            CA-99-05 - Vulnerability in statd exposes vulnerability in
automountd

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-05-statd-automountd.html

            CA-98.11 - Vulnerability in ToolTalk RPC Service

            http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.11.tooltalk.html

       We also encourage you to regularly review security related patches
released by your vendors.

       This document is available from:
http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-04.html.

       CERT/CC Contact Information

       Email: cert@cert.org
       Phone: +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
       Fax: +1 412-268-6989
       Postal address:
            CERT Coordination Center
            Software Engineering Institute
            Carnegie Mellon University
            Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
            U.S.A.

       CERT personnel answer the hotline 08:00-20:00 EST(GMT-5) /
EDT(GMT-4) Monday through Friday; they are on call for emergencies
       during other hours, on U.S. holidays, and on weekends.

       Using encryption

       We strongly urge you to encrypt sensitive information sent by
email. Our public PGP key is available from
       http://www.cert.org/CERT_PGP.key. If you prefer to use DES, please
call the CERT hotline for more information.

       Getting security information

       CERT publications and other security information are available from
our web site http://www.cert.org/.

       To be added to our mailing list for advisories and bulletins, send
email to cert-advisory-request@cert.org and include SUBSCRIBE
       your-email-address in the subject of your message.

       Copyright 1999 Carnegie Mellon University.
       Conditions for use, disclaimers, and sponsorship information can be
found in http://www.cert.org/legal_stuff.html.

       * "CERT" and "CERT Coordination Center" are registered in the U.S.
Patent and Trademark Office

       NO WARRANTY
       Any material furnished by Carnegie Mellon University and the
Software Engineering Institute is furnished on an "as is"
       basis. Carnegie Mellon University makes no warranties of any kind,
either expressed or implied as to any matter including,
       but not limited to, warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or
merchantability, exclusivity or results obtained from use of
       the material. Carnegie Mellon University does not make any warranty
of any kind with respect to freedom from patent,
       trademark, or copyright infringement.