List:       imp
Subject:    Re: [imp] installing cyrus & ldap (2)
From:       Nadeem Hasan <nhasan () nadmm ! com>
Date:       1999-11-14 21:08:02

amir wrote:

> Thanks for the info. My main concern is not heavy
> security or encryption, but it is mainly the speed of
> accessing a user's mailbox and sending mail. Would
> pam_ldap faster than a normal OpenLDAP server?

There is no comparison. pam_ldap is a PAM module which
uses an LDAP directory to do authentication. Which means
that pam_ldap would be using OpenLDAP directory to do
authentication, i.e. you would need both to do the job.

> I plan to have one machine dedicated as a mail server,
> but it should have no accounts on it (in the
> /etc/passwd and shadow files), I want the account info
> to be stored on the LDAP server, which is on the same
> machine. Is it also possible to store the messages on
> the LDAP server, too?

Cyrus stores messages in a hashed directory structure and
there is no support for storing messages in the LDAP.
LDAP is no suitable for such application too.