List:       imap
Subject:    Re: Mail filtering on server
From:       Cyrus Daboo <daboo () cyrusoft ! com>
Date:       2000-08-16 17:05:24

--On Wednesday, August 16, 2000 10:54 AM -0600 Alexey Melnikov
<mel@messagingdirect.com> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> is there any IMAP extension that would allow the client to define mail
>> sorting rules on the server? I know about the Sieve language, but is
>> there any standard way of transferring the Sieve script edited on the
>> client side to the server?
>
> There are two competing methods:
> Using ACAP dataset:
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-acap-sieve-00.txt
> Using different protocol:
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martin-managesieve-01.txt

I am also aware that some server vendors have also used HTTP, ftp and LDAP
to do this. Its really up to the implementation to decide what to do. There
is also a web interface that someone did.

There is no way to do this through IMAP right now. Maybe if we have a
server annotations extension (as opposed to message and mailbox
annotations) one of the 'annotations' would be the sieve script for that
account. But that's something that has to be decided inthe IMAPext working
group.

>> Are there any clients that would be able to
>> graphically edit Sieve scripts?
>
> Check http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/. I think Mulberry should do this.

I'm working on our client-side and server-side filtering code right now. My
goal is to provide as many different script upload/download mechanisms as
possible, maybe via some kind of plugin mechanism.

--
Cyrus Daboo