List:       imap
Subject:    Driver implementation
From:       Jan Nilsson <jannils () usa ! net>
Date:       2000-08-11 22:36:40

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement a new driver for the UW IMAPD.
The storage of the mail data I need to access is distributed
(headers in one place,message text in another and attachments in a third
place).
I've been trying to learn from the code of the existing drivers how
to implement a driver which suits my environment.
When it comes to fetching body data, all drivers seems to implement
the "driver_fetchtext" function, and none the "driver_fetchbody" function.

Because of my distributed storage I wouldn't want to read the entire
message (by putting it together by first getting the message text and
then all the attachments from different databases) unless it is
absolutely necessary (e.g. a FETCH 1 ALL).
So I started looking at how to implement partial fetches in the driver,
and as I understand it, this is what the "driver_fetchbody" function is for.

My problem is that I'm having trouble understanding how and what to
deliver from this function and also how to interpret some of the
function parameters.
Unfortunately there is no driver implementing this function,
and when I looked in the doc I found some inconsistansies
between the doc and the code:

char *driver_fetchbody (MAILSTREAM *stream,unsigned long msgno,char
*section,unsigned long *len,long flags);
long (*msgdata) (MAILSTREAM *stream,unsigned long msgno,char *section,unsigned
long first,unsigned long last,STRINGLIST *lines,long flags);

Is there an error in the doc or am I looking past something?

Anyone of you knows how to implement this driver function,
or even if there's some code to look at somewhere ?

Many thanks,
Jan Nilsson