List:       imap
Subject:    Re: inbox MUST equate to $personal/inbox
From:       Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () esys ! ca>
Date:       1997-06-03 21:24:23

> FTP's namespace has a serious design error.  The problem is that anonymous
> users can't access data that has been explicitly shared by normal users.
> The effect is that anonymous FTP archives are only ever set up by system
> administrations or people who run their own servers.

There's nothing wrong with the namespace, it's a server design issue.
I.e., there's no reason why an anonymous FTP "get ~lyndon/README" shouldn't
work in the same manner as "http://mumble.frotz/~lyndon/README.html" does.
The current behaviour is simply an legacy from early FTP servers
implementations.

--lyndon

Lyndon Nerenberg
Sr. Software Developer