List:       imap
Subject:    Dates Confirmed for ACAP Meeting 3/24-3/25/97
From:       "Matthew Wall" <wall () cmu ! edu>
Date:       1997-02-11 20:49:25

Just a quick preliminary note that we've confirmed space for the ACAP
meeting, March 24-25, 1997. I will send out a formal notice with
registration information on Thursday 2/13. This is a quick sketch for those
of you who need to make travel or other arrangements; the notice I send out
later will have additional details.

Please check the preliminary agenda at the bottom, and if you want to
volunteer to facilitate a session, please send me mail. Otherwise you may
receive a draft notice 8-).

A reminder that this is intended to be a *working* meeting -- participants
should be prepared to work 8-). I will outline some specific goals in the
formal announcement.

Thanks

- Matt

FIRST INTERNATIONAL ACAP MEETING
hosted by Carnegie Mellon University
sponsored with support from [YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE CHEAP!]

LOCATION/DATE:

The meeting will be held at the University City Holiday Inn, Pittsburgh, 10
a.m.-6 p.m. Monday March 24th, and 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Tuesday March 25th.
Contintental breakfast will be provided both days and a box lunch on
Monday. Special needs options will be available. Dinner is on-your-own, but
there are plenty of restaurants in walking distance. A shuttle to and from
the airport leaves directly from the hotel hourly. Allow an additional hour
for actual travel time to the airport (more or less a worst case; normal
travel time is about a half hour.)

COSTS:

There will be a reduced hotel rate for the meeting of $100 / night single
or double occupancy at the meeting hotel. There are other, much less
convenient hotels in the area, however, should you wish to make other
arrangements. This is a nice (though not luxury) full-service hotel in the
University district of Pittsburgh. Parking is available at the hotel for a
reduced fee to hotel guests.

The conference registration fee will be $50/person, and will cover
amenities, materials, and facilities costs. The event is being partially
subsidized by CMU Computing Services. If the registration cost will be a
real problem for you or your organization, please send me email; we're only
trying to recover costs. We'll reduce the fee and/or provide refunds if we
break in the black.

**** If you or your company would like to help out with costs, please let
me know! ****

FACILITIES:

It looks like we will NOT be able to have full network connectivity in the
meeting space itself. (My apologies; the cost is prohibitive for a short
meeting at an outside non-CMU facility.) Basic overheads and flipcharts
will be available; we have a large room and a smaller breakout room
available. Please send me mail if you have other facilities needs.

OTHER AMENITIES/INFO:

Meals will be provided as outlined on the program below. Caffeine will be
available continuously. Special needs will be accomodated when indicated on
the registration form.

As noted above, direct network connectivity will not be available at the
meeting site; sorry about this.

The meeting site is in the district of Pittsburgh known as Oakland. The
hotel is a short walk from the Carnegie (a complex of museums) and a number
of other local cultural attractions, and is a short drive or busride from
downtown. Plenty to do to fill a Sunday if you want to arrive early.

REGISTRATION INFO:

To follow in separate message.

"PROGRAM":

This is a tentative program, although I think the general nature of the
sessions seems to be on the right track from the previous comments I've
received. Please send me comments with suggestions for adjustments at any
time; the first thing we'll do the first day is adjust the agenda again as
needed.

We've tried to make this a time-zone-changer-friendly,
get-away-day-possible schedule; as such we may be cramming a lot in to a
certain window of the day, but we expect this to be a small, focussed
group, and I am notorious for insisting that meetings run on time 8-) -
hence I have the expectation that this will be productive time.

Sunday, March 23

arrive 8-). On-your-own around Pittsburgh. Sunday beer BOF in hotel lounge
from 6-8ish hosted by Matt. Note: the hotel lounge is one of the serious
jazz venues in Pittsburgh for those of you who are into this genre.

Monday, March 24

9 - 10ish a.m.

Continental breakfast, registration

10 - 11:00

ACAP - General Overview, Review, Status, CMU Server Report, Agenda
check/set
(M. Wall, C. Newman, R. Earhart)

11:00-11:15

break

11:15-1:00

ACAP Draft Current Status/Review
(C. Newman, J. Myers)
[Note: this will be the first part of a formal IETF WG session if
necessary; anyone volunteer in advance to be a notetaker?]

1:00- 2:00

box lunch

2:00-3:30

Client API
(R. Earhart, draftee from client world...?)

3:30-3:35 Breakout/BOF Group Designation

3:35-4:00

break, informal Breakout/BOF/Dinner Planning

4:00-5:00

Breakouts or half-sessions as appropriate - I

Cyrus ACAP Library Design/Implementation
(R. Earhart, draftee X...?)

Dataset Specifications I
Options Dataset
(S. Hole?)

5:05-6:00

Breakouts or half-sessions - II

Mailbox Lists Dataset
(J. Myers)

Addressbooks Dataset
(S. Huber?)

(Are other Breakouts necessary? please advise)

Evening

Dinner on-your-own
Beer BOFs (possible topics - add your own and/or volunteer to run one,
please):
    Help Me Design/Write the ACAP Chapter in the IMAP book (M. Wall)
    Client Vendor BOF
    Server Vendor BOF
    Client API Team BOF
    ACAP Library Team BOF
    Product/Dataset Brainstorming BOF
    Draft/Spec Design Team Meeting

Tuesday, March 25

9:00 - 10:00

Continental Breakfast
Breakfast BOFs

9:45 - 10:15

BOF and Breakout Reports
(Designated BOF Spokespersons)

10:15 - 11:45

ACAP Draft/Specification II
(C. Newman, J. Myers) - Session II

11:45-11:50

Bathroom Break

11:50 - 1:00

What Next: Strategy Meeting, Agenda for IETF, Remaining BOF Reports, Random
To-dos, Residual Issues, Timetable (M. Wall, C. Newman)

1:00 promptly: breakup of meeting

informal post-meeting BOFs at CMU (10 minute walk away)