List:       imap
Subject:    Re: IMAP for News?
From:       "Jack De Winter" <jack () Wildbear ! ON ! CA>
Date:       1996-10-22 19:47:02

>IMAP4 can't be defined based on news because news & NNTP are completely
>non-standard.  That's why there are so many NNTP extensions which are only
>documented in source code, and a lot of news behavior is imprecise.  This
>definitely needs to be fixed.
>
>However, removing implications that IMAP4 is only for _mail_ from the
>specification would be a good thing, IMHO.  The fact is that both IMAP
>reference implementations (C-client & Cyrus) fully support news.

I agree with the documentation thing Chris.  When I was trying to get
more information on some of the formats, Stan Barber, the gent currently
doing the drafts told me to get a certain MAN page and a TAR file from
a give place.  He said that if there was none for Windows, well then
I had better use a UNIX system like I should be. (colour me miffed)

How much of the news stuff is non-standard?  I thought it was all off of
RFC 822?

regards,
Jack