List:       imap
Subject:    Re: RE: Let's standardize "smaller" protocols straw proposal
From:       jem () mystery ! milleredp ! com
Date:       1996-05-17 18:36:48

Does it?

You can easily implement a bunch of separate protocol listeners in one NT
service.  You can make it modular by using OLE Automation (if you like pain) or
LoadLibrary() (if you're an old-fashioned moron like me).  It's a matter of
defining how the pieces are going to talk to one another, as much as anything,
and NT is stuffed with IPC mechanisms (so if it ain't always easy it's always
possible).  IMHO if the protocols are all related to one another (e.g. an
integrated SMTP/IMAP/delivery agent package that share common mail-store
engines, all implemented as replaceable DLLs) it makes sense to start/stop them
as a single service.

I am agnostic on the big/little protocol issue (though I can't see many MUAs
that'd ever do message-management but not mailbox-management and, from the MUA
perspective, I think a single protocol/single connection simplifies things) but
really, really wish multiple protocols would LOOK and BEHAVE similarly so that a
single piece of standardized parser code could be used...

-- End original message --