List:       imap
Subject:    Re: [Imap-protocol] Should IMAP APPEND create a sent or
From:       Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn () spinfo ! uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2008-01-31 22:28:06

--On 31. Januar 2008 12:58:53 -0800 Mark Crispin <mrc@washington.edu> wrote:

> Some clients also use APPEND to save message drafts being composed; but
> as noted above these messages are usually put into a special named
> mailbox by themselves rather than using the \Draft draft in a mailbox
> used by other messages.

FWIW, Mulberry is the only client I'm aware of that handles drafts with
\Draft instead of with specific mailboxes, and very gracefully at that. In
its Draft menu there's an option to "Append to Mailbox". This APPENDs the
draft and sets the \Draft flag. When you open such a message from the IMAP
server, it's obviously considered a draft. What happens next depends on the
preferences you've set. There's an option "Delete drafts from mailboxes
after sending". If that's set and you send the message, the draft message
wil be deleted. Otherwise it will remain in the mailbox. There's another
option meant to facilitate message templates that can only be set when the
first one is set: "Don't delete important drafts after sending". Now you
can have both transitory drafts and permanent drafts. ("Important" means
\Flagged, btw)

But I have to admit that I rarely use this feature, even though I think
it's as good as it gets. And to get back to the original topic, obviously
this is absolutely client-specific and has nothing to do with IMAP proper.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK