List:       imap
Subject:    Re: [Imap-protocol] Checking for new messages
From:       Timo Sirainen <tss () iki ! fi>
Date:       2008-01-07 4:02:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:50 -1000, Steve Freitas wrote:
> With IMAP4, it seems to be more complicated, but I hope I'm missing
> something here. I can't use message sequence numbers in any way to do
> this, because they're unstable (since deleting a message decrements all
> sequence numbers above that of the deleted message). And I can't use
> UIDs if, like I'm experiencing when dealing with the Courier IMAP
> server, I get a new UIDVALIDITY number every time I connect to the
> server and open a mailbox.

Your Courier setup is then somehow broken. UIDVALIDITY doesn't normally
change, even with Courier. I think it's just as likely for POP3 UIDLs to
change as IMAP UIDVALIDITY.

Another possibility anyway could be using keywords. Mark them with some
"mysoftware-processed" keyword when you're finished with them. Although
not all servers support keywords.