List:       imap
Subject:    Re: [Imap-protocol] re: GMail
From:       Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn () spinfo ! uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2007-10-31 10:21:46

--On 29. Oktober 2007 17:59:42 -0700 Mark Crispin <MRC@cac.washington.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> A lot of people
>> want shared mailboxes and besides administrator configuring them
>> manually ACL  is the only possibility. Clients don't currently have much
>> support for it,  but it doesn't really need support from normal clients.
>> Just having some  special "ACL (web)client" is enough. I hoped to have
>> implemented ACL for my  server this summer, but looks like it didn't
>> happen.
>
> I'm not convinced that this needs to be part of IMAP as opposed to an
> external facility (such as you note is already done).
>
>> I think quota is already pretty widely supported by clients, although in
>> very  limited form. If people have quota, they really want to know how
>> much they  have left (when they've reached the limit once..). Quota root
>> is a pretty  weird concept though and I don't think clients handle
>> multiple ones well.  Maybe QUOTA2 extension could do a better job with
>> those.
>
> I don't think that many IMAP clients (as opposed to webmails) report
> quota.  Again, this seems to be an external facility.

If those extensions didn't already exist, you would have a point. They
could've been created as external facilities. But I don't see what taking
them out of IMAP now would achieve. The claimed dichotomy between IMAP
clients and webmail doesn't really exist, because those webmailers are IMAP
clients too. They may not be exemplary ones, but they're what many of our
users prefer.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK