List:       imap
Subject:    Re: [Imap-protocol] STATUS on a \NoSelect mailbox
From:       Mark Crispin <mrc () cac ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2007-10-24 19:16:18

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Dave Cridland wrote:
> That [Gmail] heirarchy point shouldn't be listed here - as Mark says, it's
> not a mailbox, therefore shouldn't match.
>
> It should be returned for LIST "" "%", but not LIST "" "*".

I disagree.  It depends upon the semantics of the underlying mail store.

In some mail stores, such as Cyrus, there is no such physical object as a
"directory" (which is typically what a \NoSelect name is); that is, a
bucket that holds mailboxes and other directories.  In others, such as the
ones typically exported by UW, there is such a physical object.

IMAP does NOT, repeat NOT!! dictate the semantics of the server's mail
store; rather, it provides a means to export the mail store's semantics.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc