List:       imap
Subject:    Re: 1777 protection and "lesser" IMAP clients
From:       Mark Crispin <MRC () CAC ! Washington ! EDU>
Date:       2003-10-10 19:37:05

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Rick Karnesky wrote:
> Now I realize that 1777 protection is needed to write a .lock file
> (because imapd doesn't run as setuid root) so that my mail won't become
> corrupted.

Correct.

> I asked the admins about this & pointed to the IMAPd documentation that
> told them to set 1777 or use mlock or something similar. There response
> was that I should use Outlook or Eudora, which "do not require the type of
> file permissions" I described and that they tested it extensively.

The admins are incorrect.  *All* IMAP clients are affected.  Outlook and
Eudora probably just don't to display the warning message from the server.

Tell them that this information comes directly from the author of imapd.

They must either use 1777 or install mlock.

> Not using .lock files doesn't mean that a mailbox will definitely be
> corrupted, but that you're playing a crapshoot, right?  Their anecdotal
> evidence of testing doesn't matter.

That is correct on all points.

> If I'm right, any suggestions on how to deal with stubborn
> admins ;-)

First, provide them with the factual evidence.  Fairness requires that you
give them a chance.  Sometimes, it is just a case of ignorance on the part
of otherwise well-intentioned individuals; and as such it can be cured
with solid evidence.

You have a statement from the author of imapd -- they can look at the
source code and see my name -- that you are right and they are wrong.
They may check with me directly if they prefer.

If, in spite of authoritative confirmation, they remain recalcitrant, then
fire them.  There are many other service providers out there, including
some which actually have clueful administrators.  Life is too short to
waste breath is dealing with clueless ISPs.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.