List:       imap
Subject:    Re: Basic IMAP server with plain text login. BAD login every time.
From:       Mark Crispin <mrc () CAC ! Washington ! EDU>
Date:       2003-10-06 0:22:23

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Nathan Brown wrote:
> I have recently compiled uw-imap (make bsf SSLTYPE=none) and whenever I
> try to login with any system user (excluding root) it rejects my login.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] sentinelc0de.net \
> IMAP4rev1 2003.339 at Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:46:46 -0400
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you notice that "LOGINDISABLED" text?  It means that no LOGIN command
will succeed, even if you give the correct password.  Refer to RFC 3501
and RFC 2595.

Did you notice that "STARTTLS" text?  It means that the server was built
with SSL.  You may think that you set SSLTYPE=none, but I assure you that
you will not see "STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED" unless SSLTYPE=nopwd.

Review the information in imap-2003/docs/BUILD (the very first two
paragraphs under "UNIX BUILD NOTES") and imap-2003/docs/SSLBUILD (first
two paragraphs under "SSL BUILD").

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.