List:       imap
Subject:    Re: Body.peek clarification
From:       Alexey Melnikov <mel () messagingdirect ! com>
Date:       2003-05-27 13:47:49

Richard Bang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would the following be  considered a valid request
>
> BODY.PEEK[1.1,1.4,1.3,1.2]<25...647>

This is not a valid syntax, you can't specify multiple comma delimited
sections inside []. Also, there should be a single dot between 25 and
647. If you leave just a single section specifier, e.g.:

BODY.PEEK[1.1]<25.647>

This means "give me a part of the section number 1.1 starting from byte
25 of size 647, don't mark the message Seen". This is useful when the
client wants to download a big body part in chunks.
The client will issue multiple FETCH requests, for example:

BODY.PEEK[1.1]<0.4096>
BODY.PEEK[1.1]<4096.4096>
BODY.PEEK[1.1]<8192.4096>

> And if so why does the protocol allow for such a silly request. What
> purpose does it serve.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alexey
R & D, ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect
Watford, UK

Work Phone: +44 1923 81 2877
Home Page: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel
IETF standard
related pages: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel/devel/Links.html

I speak for myself only, not for my employer.