List:       imap
Subject:    re: New driver
From:       Mark Crispin <MRC () CAC ! Washington ! EDU>
Date:       2002-09-11 20:36:40

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:41:28 -0300, Jacques Exelrud wrote:
> 	Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, if not
> please direct me to the correct address.

The correct place for such questions is the comp.mail.imap newsgroup.

Assuming that you are talking about the UW IMAP server, you can also use
	c-client@u.washington.edu

> 	The company I work for wish to develop an IMAP interface to one of
> it's products. I'm planning doing this by developing a driver to plug into
> the IMAP server. What I'm planning to develop is both a new authentication
> mechanism and a new mailbox format. I'm not sure if this is the correct
> approach or if I still need to create something else.

Assuming that you are talking about the UW IMAP server, you will need to write
both a "mailbox driver" for your mailbox format, and an "authentication
driver" for your authentication mechanism.

Let's say that your mailbox format is called foo, and your authentication
mechanism is called bar.  You will write a mailbox driver in
	imap-????/src/osdep/unix/foo.[ch]
and add it to the c-client library by adding
	EXTRADRIVERS=foo
to the make command.  You will also write an authentication driver in
	imap-????/src/osdep/unix/auth_bar.[ch]
and add it to the c-client library by adding:
	EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=bar
to the make command.  So, if you are building on modern Linux, the resulting
make command will be something like:
	make lnp EXTRADRIVERS=foo EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=bar

To see what should go into mailbox and authentication drivers, look at one of
the existing ones to use as a model.  For example, consider
	imap-????/src/osdep/unix/mbx.[ch]
for a model for the mailbox driver, and
	imap-????/src/c-client/auth_gss.[ch]
for a model for the authentication driver.