List:       imap
Subject:    Reverse DNS question
From:       "Christian Cryder" <christianc () granitepeaks ! com>
Date:       2002-03-27 21:08:01

Hi folks!

Ok, I'm at my wits end here and I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers
in the right direction. I am running RedHat 7.2 as a PDC, with Postfix for
my SMTP server, and UW's Imap server for POP. I'm not running a DNS server
on this machine (DNS services come from our upstream ISP). Here's what I'm
observing:

1. From the local network...When I try to SSH into the linux box, connect
via
POP, send mail, or log into the domain, it frequently takes up at least 30
seconds to establish a connection.

2. From the outside world...When I try to SSH into the linux box, connect
via
POP, or send mail, its a snap (just a few seconds at most) to connect to the
box.

It almost seems as if something on the box is trying to do reverse dns
lookups on private IPs. I've been searching in vain to try and figure out
what controls this and how to either
a) configure it to not do reverse dns on private ips, or
b) turn off reverse dns altogether.

I'm guessing that since this behavior seems to be affecting multiple apps,
its probably a effect of some lower layer that the all use, but I'd like to
check and see if there's any way of working around it in the Imap layer.
Unfortunately, I can't find any way to really configure it (short of
recompiling, and I'm not sure if that's the right direction to go here).

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I guess the essence of my question is: How
can I configure Imap / Samba / RedHat so that when its dealing with a local
ip (ie. in the same subnet) it doesn't try to do reverse DNS lookup on it.

tia,
Christian
Christian Cryder [christianc@atmreports.com]
Internet Architect, ATMReports.com