List:       imap
Subject:    Dual use patch
From:       "Cory Sharp" <cssharp () mail ! com>
Date:       2002-03-20 12:48:59

Hi all,

I have written a patch against imap-2001a to provide dual use mailbox support.
Here are some notes from a header file describing the features:

> Two forms of dual use mailboxes are available:
>
> DUALUSE_SELF_MAILBOX ".self"
>
>   Expose a directory as a mailbox via a specially named (".self") mailbox in
>   the directory.
>
>   This form of dual use is passive.  The ".self" mailboxes must be created
>   explicitly by the user.
>
>   Example: If the mailbox ".self" is found in the directory a "squeamish/",
>   then "squeamish/.self" is used when "squeamish" is accessed as a mailbox.
>
> DUALUSE_DIR_PREFIX "@dir."
>
>   Expose a mailbox as a directory through a same-level subdirectory with the
>   same name as the mailbox with standard prefix ("@dir.").
>
>   This form of dual use is more active.  All mailboxes dual as directories.
>   "@dir." directories are created by the server when necessary, removed when
>   they become empty, and are explicitly masked from mailbox listings.
>
>   Example: The user has an populated mailbox named "ninja" with no existing
>   subfolders.  With an IMAP client, the user creates a submailbox
>   "goldfish".  In its filesystem, the server creates the directory
>   "@dir.ninja" and the mailbox "@dir.ninja/goldfish".  From the client, this
>   mailbox appears as "ninja/goldfish".  "@dir.ninja/" does not appear as an
>   IMAP directory and is removed by the server if it becomes empty through
>   actions in the client.

All changes were made in osdep/unix/.  I've compiled it successfully on Linux
RedHat 7.0.  I've tested it with two IMAP clients (MS Outlook Express 6.0 and
Horde IMP 3.0) and they appear to behave properly.

Briefly, the following files in osdep/unix/ were modified:
    Makefile, dummy.c, env_unix.c, mbx.c, mmdf.c, mtx.c, tenex.c, unix.c
and the following files were added:
    bd_tokens.c, bd_tokens.h, dualuse.c, dualuse.h
where most significant changes occurred in dummy.c and env_unix.c.

I'm not certain of the protocol for distributing patches for UW IMAP.  For now,
if you're interested in trying out the patch, drop me a note and I'll send it
to you.  Also, I'm not savvy with the IMAP protocol nor the internals of UW
IMAP.  So, if someone more knowledgeable would like to verify what I've done is
sane, that'd be super.

Cheers,
Cory Sharp