List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    RE: ImageMagick SMP support??
From:       Bill Radcliffe <BillR () corbis ! com>
Date:       2001-08-27 3:23:12

The command line tools provided do not do anything to take advantage of
multiple processors, but the Win2k OS does - of course. The specific way you
would make use of Win2k's abilities is application specific. In many of my
applications - for instance - I need to process a large number of image
files rapidly. I do this by running one queue of images on each processor.
Each script does the same thing, but I run more then one at a time, with
each one pulling images out of a list until the list is exhausted. My rule
of thumb is to run no more then one instance of the script per CPU since
most image processing tasks will peg a CPU. Win2k does a good job of
automatically distributing the load across all the CPU's as any modern
multitasking OS should do.

There are also some advanced features that have been added in the latest
release that allow you to have more control and define jobs that are
attached to specific CPU's and even set limits on how long the can run and
the priority they are to be run at. I have not seen the need to take
advantage of these features and would be interested in hearing from others
on this list if they have done anything like this.