List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Transparency problem
From:       Joe Piskor <jpiskor () teleline ! es>
Date:       2001-08-26 7:00:02

Hi all!
	I'm having a transparency problem with a script I've migrated from a system
with the 4.2.9 version of ImageMagick and one running v5.2.7. The code giving
me trouble is

# make the background of the cloud image transparent
/usr/X11R6/bin/mogrify -transparent black default.gif

# layer the clouds on top of the topo background and save it
/usr/X11R6/bin/combine -compose over topo_full.png default.gif fused_full.gif

The source image (default.gif) has the area I wish to have transparent set to
black by the generating software.

This code works perfectly under 4.2.9, but under the newer version sets to
transparent an intermediate color index. As a workaround, I've brought the
older version executables (and libraries) over to the other system, renamed
them as mogrify.old and combine.old, and am successfully generating the
image.  ( http://www.nemoc.navy.mil/nemoc/prods/products/wmo/nsds/false.jpg )

I'm not fond of kludges, and have tried some other things as well (starting
with a png, for example) with the same results.

Any ideas?

   Joe Piskor - Programmer/Analyst - CSC-Ploenzke
Meteorological and Oceanographic Product Development
            NAVEURMETOCCEN, Rota, Spain
     piskorj@nemoc.navy.mil; jpiskor@teleline.es