List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Display two images simultaneously?
From:       Charles Packer <cpacker () ctaswkstn25 ! ssd ! csc ! com>
Date:       2001-03-30 20:23:01

Easing into the C API, I successfully read and displayed an image by
pasting together a hybrid demo program out of the two code examples at the
ImageMagick website, example.c and smiley.c.

But now I confront a problem that was just a little cloud on the
horizon when I first considered ImageMagick for my application and perused
the existing documentation: the interface to X. Specifically, how do I
use the display function from within a single C program to display
two images in separate windows? When I execute the standalone "display"
program with two images on the command line, it displays the first image only.
Then I have to use the pulldown menu to select the next image, which
replaces the first. The C functions XDisplayImage and DisplayImages
appear to behave the same way.

The application I'm designing needs to show two images simultaneously
and record control points that I place with the mouse. It would be a
major inconvenience not to be able to see both images at the same time,
as choosing a control point depends on verifying its visibility
in both images.