List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] help with converting pbm to png
From:       Wolfgang Hugemann <Auto () Hugemann ! de>
Date:       2010-10-29 5:04:20

Terry,

I regularly use pdfimages to losslessly extract images from PDF files
and and the convert these PBMs to TIFFs or GIFs with ImageMagick.
Although using various versions of IM, I have never encountered any
problems with that. I have just tried to use PNG instead of GIF and have
met no problems with doing so.

Considering your PDF: Extracting the images with pdfimages, I get the
same results as you. But I meet no problems when converting them to
PNGs; they look just the same as the originals.

BTW: PNG does a much better job on compression than TIFF (and even GIF),
so perhaps I should switch to PNG in the future...

At the moment I'm using ImageMagick 6.6.3-0 2010-07-01 Q16 on Windows XP
and Windows 7, 32 bit.

Perhaps this is a problem with the very IM version you use, check with
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/changelog.php.

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang Hugemann