List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] imagick_type_gen ignores new ttf's
From:       Anthony Thyssen <A.Thyssen () griffith ! edu ! au>
Date:       2009-08-17 3:28:48

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:25:15 +0200
Günter Bachelier <guba@VI-ANEC.de> wrote:

| Hello,
|
| the Perl script imagick_type_gen
| (http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scripts/imagick_type_gen)
| ignores ttf's (symbol fonts) that I have copied/installed in Ubuntu.
|
| First I copied fonts in /home/USER/.fonts and run
| imagick_type_gen. After this was not working I installed the same fonts in
| /usr/share/fonts/truetype/IMCompose according to the instructions in
| http://www.wikihow.com/Install-True-Type-Fonts-on-Ubuntu
| but imagick_type_gen ignores them also.
|
| I checked the fonts with OpenOffice; they are available in Ubuntu.
|
| Thank you for your help!

If you are doing a 'global search' then you may bee for run 'updatedb' as
root before the script can 'locate' new files.

If you have them in a particular sub-directory, you can tell it to
generate the type.xml file with just the fonts in that sub-directory.

NOTE type.xml" files can include other files.  As such you can
create the file...
   $HOME/.magick/type.xml
with...

<typemap>
   <include file="type-myfonts.xml" />
</typemap>

then create a separate $HOME/.magick/type-myfonts.xml  file
with the fonts of just your personal directory...

  find $HOME/lib/fonts/truetype/ -name '*.ttf' | \
     imagick_type_gen -f - > $HOME/.magick/type-myfonts.xml

You can check IM is finding the fonts with
   convert -list font

   ...system fonts, in /usr/share/  on my system!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen@griffith.edu.au>
  Data: `` I could be chasing an untamed ornithoid without just cause! ''
  Dr Crusher: `` Errr... A wild goose chase? ''
                             --- StarTrek New Generations, ``Data's Day''