List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] Controlling image size when generating MPEG
From:       Anthony Thyssen <anthony () griffith ! edu ! au>
Date:       2008-08-21 6:55:54

William Thompson on  wrote...
| William Thompson wrote:
| > I tried using the "convert" command to convert a series of JPEG
| > frames into an MPEG-2 movie.  However, the movie that is produced
| > has a quite different size from the original JPEG images.  It seems
| > to want to reform the images into a 4:3 aspect ratio.  How do I tell
| > it to keep the original image size?
|
| Actually, it turns out that the MPEG movies do have the right size.
| It was my Linux player that was imposing the 4:3 aspect ratio.  More
| sophisticated Windows players treat the MPEG file correctly.
|
| I've run into a separate problem.  The convert program seems to work
| okay for short movies, but if I try to do a long movie, it uses up all
| the memory in the computer, and never creates a movie.  Is there any
| way around this?

ImageMagick is not really designed for the handling of video formats.

Yes it can do short segments, whcih is often used by various Video
Processing Packages to do interesting sceen changes, titles, credits,
subtiltles, and distortions,  but it is not suited to handling more than
a few minute of actual video.  Even its output formats are not great for
video.

Basically you are pushing IM beyond the scope it was built for.

I suggest you use IM for individual frames or segments of frames, but
use one of the more specialized video encoders for generating the final
product.

I can for example recommend you look at ffmpeg  mpeg2enc  or mmencode
as posible programs to handle a full sized video sequence that IM has
prepared.

See IM Examples, Common Image Formats, Video
   http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/formats/#mpeg

Which contains example commands of using these alturnative utilities.

And please let us know how you get on, or what you find, or if the above
notes should be updates.  You are welcome to contribute updates to IM
Example, just send me the text and I'll format it for the web page.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen@griffith.edu.au>