List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] resize
From:       Anthony Thyssen <anthony () griffith ! edu ! au>
Date:       2008-08-17 22:57:36

Noel da Costa on  wrote...
| Hi there,
|
| I want to scale a folder full of images down... but I want the surface
| area of each image to end up about the same.

For the surface area of the actual image to be the same size use
the @pixels option of -resize.
  http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/#pixel

| Scale is no good, because the originals may be of different sizes.
| Resize doesn't help because it tries to fit everything into a box of
| the given size.

All images with scale and resize will have different sizes as they try
to preserve the aspect ratio of the image.  If you just want to MAKE the
image a specific size without regard for aspect ratio, use '!' flag
with the size arguments.
  http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/#noaspect

| The reason for this requirement is that when creating previews that
| will be viewed one at a time (like a slide show), rectangular format
| images tend to look a lot smaller than square one's.

If you want an image to be ONE size but preserve the aspect ratio, then
you will either need to 'pad' the image with extra pixels, or 'crop' the
parts of the image that does not fit, (or a combination of both.

See IM Examples, Thumbnails, Padding  for details of all three methods.
This isn't just for thumbnails but any sized images.

   http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/thumbnails/#pad

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen@griffith.edu.au>