List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] Image to PDF questions
From:       Bill Moseley <moseley () hank ! org>
Date:       2006-12-13 17:36:01

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:55:50AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> But generating .ps instead of .pdf does work
>
>     convert 1.jpg 2.jpg out.ps && lpr -o page-ranges=1 out.ps

Is that just because I scanned at 300dpi and my printer is also
300dpi?  Maybe not.

I've been scanning the docs and I'm not getting the -page setting.

    # Looks fine in gv
    convert  1.jpg 2.jpg PS:- | gv -

    # Also looks fine
    convert -page 2400x3100 1.jpg 2.jpg PS:- | gv -

    # This places tiny image in lower left corner of page
    convert -page letter 1.jpg 2.jpg PS:- | gv -

Not sure what "letter" means -- the docs show it as

    Letter        612   792

But the docs say those are DPI not points.  And indeed, these seem the same:

    convert -page letter 1.jpg 2.jpg PS:- | gv -
    convert -page 612x792 1.jpg 2.jpg PS:- | gv -

Maybe I do need to try a newer version of ImageMagic that knows that
"letter" is in points?

What I don't get is how to translate to physical sizes when printed.
Say I have an image of unknown size and I want to display it 4" wide
image centered on the page to be printed.

Can I place two images on the *same* postscript page?  Or would I need
to first create a new single image of the two images?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org