List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [magick-users] Rendering text -> unreadable in GIF or XPM
From:       Anthony Thyssen <anthony () griffith ! edu ! au>
Date:       2006-05-22 7:00:20

David Reitter on  wrote...
| On 22 May 2006, at 01:12, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
|
| > I suggest you switch to a 'terminal' font designed to be drawn as a
| > bitmap.  Helvetica  is NOT such a font.
|
| I can try this, but unfortunately, it is not one of my options in
| terms of the requirements of this job. The font will need to be the
| system font that is usually used under icons. This looks the same in
| all applications, and as far as I know, it's a vector font which
| looks great at that point size.

In that case add a background. or use PNG.

System fonts are handled by being drawn onto the background.

Or add a background color that is very close, and make anything still
that background color transparent.  This is the technique described in
the IM Examples, Common Formats, GIF, Background Transparency.

| > Also use the 'threhold' control I explained in my previous email
| > and in
| > IM Examples, formats, GIF  to remove any 'IM version threshold'
| > problem
| > you may have.
|
| OK, thanks for that pointer. The threshold parameter as per your e-
| mail made it look ugly.

Any GIF wiuth transparency will look horrible, unless the image is given
a color 'halo' like effect that matches the existing background.  It is
about the only way to do near-anti-aliasing with a GIF boolean
transparency.

| I think I solved the problem in the way I described in my e-mail:
| assume a fixed background color, use `composite' to render background
| and image with alpha channel, then convert to GIF using the
| background color to define the transparency mask. The non-1000%
| background pixels will then be locked to the assumed color, the
| surrounding regions will be transparent. That way, it'll still look
| good on slightly different backgrounds.

There you go!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen@griffith.edu.au>