List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    [magick-users] Creation of 'disabled' or 'greyed out' images.
From:       Neil Clayton <neil () cloudnine ! net ! nz>
Date:       2005-02-28 18:02:32

Hi,

I've had a look through a number of HOWTOs, but I can't seem to find
this anywhere. Also, I'm new to imagemagick, so my terminology might
not be up to scratch.

I'm trying to create a set of 'greyed out' images, from a set of colour
ones.  I've tried using a -modulate 120,0, which produces an average
result, but the image is still very like the original - it's not 'flat'
in any way.

Ideally, I'd like to get the greyed out image to look indented if
possible.  If that's not possible in an automated manner, than 'flat'
would do.  It might also be that what Im trying to do is not usually
automated (Im no graphic artist), in which case that's a suitable
answer as well!

The images themselves are icons for a toolbar. The reason I'm doing all
of this is that the default greyed out images produced by the Eclipse
(java) SWT toolkit (at runtime) are 'not very nice' under windows.

Regards,
Neil Clayton