List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: [Magick-bugs] Re: [magick-users] Profile handling in V 5.4.5
From:       Ron Savage <ron () savage ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-05-31 0:08:43

On Thu, 30 May 2002 08:32:02 -0500 (CDT), Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>On Thu, 30 May 2002, Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:
>
>>That's normal behaviour.  When the output file's suffix isn't known
>>ImageMagick, it silently falls back on the input format.  Not a
>>bug.
>
>That's a matter of perception.  I would prefer that ImageMagick not
>operate based on soft failures if it has an effect on the output.
 It
>should report an error instead.

I'm with Bob on this one.

I did not ask for a JPG to be output. I asked for an EXIF.
Consider this line:
$result = $image -> Write("$profile:sarah.$profile");
In front of the colon is 'exif'. This is effectively beating IM over
the head about the desired output.
This is a bug, surely.
If I had just said:
$result = $image -> Write("sarah.$profile");
then you just might argue I was naming the file and not forcing the
output to be in a specific format, but as it happens, I wouldn't buy
that one either.
--
Cheers
Ron Savage, ron@savage.net.au on 31/5/02