List:       imagemagick-developer
Subject:    [magick-developers] Dicom support
From:       Shane Blackett <s.blackett () auckland ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2008-05-20 5:05:38

Hi,

We are using Imagemagick for reading and writing image data from our
application, cmgui, http://www.cmiss.org/cmgui
Thankyou again for your work.

I am interested in enhancing the support for dicom files.
Currently imagemagick can do planar RGB, indexed images,
8 bit jpeg and with the lossless jpeg patch 8 bit lossless jpeg.

I guess we could use the jp2 library to support jpeg2000 in a
similar way to that used for jpeg support.

Plus, I would really like 12 bit jpeg and 16 bit lossless jpeg support,
which seems to be done by several other projects by recompiling the ijg
library 3 times and mangling the function names.
This doesn't really fit with the way imagemagick generally uses the
system libraries found in configuration so I'm not sure what would be
an acceptable approach for getting this to work.

I'm happy to do some work on this but thought to raise the topic first
here so that the approach taken might hope to be acceptable for general
inclusion.

Shane.