List:       imagemagick-developer
Subject:    [magick-developers] ImageMagick 6.0.4
From:       yarrow () studio ! imagemagick ! org
Date:       2004-07-28 14:59:40

We released ImageMagick 6.0.4.  It is strictly a bug fix release and
users are encouraged to upgrade due to a memory leak and a possible
memory corruption.  Recent versions of ImageMagick uses anonymous memory
mapping for the pixel cache.  If the image started out as colormapped and
was later converted to TrueColor, the colormapped indexes were leaked.
This should not affect simple conversions from the command line but could
be problematic for any PerlMagick script, for example, that processes
hundreds of images in a loop.

The memory corruption is extremely rare and only occurs with JPEG
comments of a particular size and even then the corruption is only 1
byte and would only show up if you were processing thousands of images.

Both problems are fixed in ImageMagick 6.0.4.

The primary ImageMagick developers are getting together for the next few
days to discuss the future development of IM.  We will be unavailable
until we return on Tuesday.