List:       imagemagick-developer
Subject:    [magick-developers] Problems building ImageMagick 5.5.7-1 source
From:       Niall O Broin <niall () linux ! ie>
Date:       2003-07-27 12:48:04

Sorry for the cross posting - I wasn't sure where this was appropriate. I
guess it's not a bug in IM per se but rather in the distributed SRPM.

ImageMagick-5.5.7-1.src.rpm as downloaded will not build on RedHat 9, SuSE 8.2
or SuSE 8.2 (and because of the cp problem identified below, probably won't
build anywhere).

The first problem encountered is that the spec file contains this line

cp -f $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/Makefile.PL.in $IM_DIR/PerlMagick

and the file  $RPM_SOURCE_DIR/Makefile.PL.in   doesn't exist. This doesn't
seem to be too big a problem, as  $IM_DIR/PerlMagick/Makefile.PL.in  DOES
exist.

Having fixed that problem, the build completes on RH9.

On SuSE further problems arise - the file  SOURCES/set-perl-filelist  has
paths like

print OUTFILE "%attr(644,root,man)
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Image/Magick/.packlist\n";

hard coded into it. However, the part

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi

should be replaced by the output of

perl -e 'use Config;print "$Config{installarchlib}"'

as is done elsewhere in the spec file - on SuSE 8.1 and 8.2 this gives

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i586-linux-thread-multi

because SuSE requires a Pentium now to install (in 2003 this is hardly an
onerous requirement - when did YOU last build IM on a processor less powerful
than a Pentium ?) and has packages built appropriately.

So, I edit that file and this causes the errors associated with that to go
away and the building proceeds nearly to the end. There's a sequence of

Processing files:
Finding  Provides:
Finding  Requires:
Provides:
Requires:

sections but when the perlmagick part appears I see this

Processing files: ImageMagick-perl-5.5.7-1
File not found:
/var/tmp/ImageMagick-root/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i586-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod

and when the build process finishes, no RPMs have been built.

All ideas gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin