List:       imagemagick-developer
Subject:    Re: [magick-developers] Ghostscript support
From:       Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr () lazerware ! com>
Date:       2002-04-26 16:09:50

At 3:29 PM +0000 4/26/02, perlspinr@att.net wrote:
>I understand that many delegates I~M~ uses are
>Ghostscript utilities (pdfwrite etc.)

	Actually, the only delegates that IM uses GS for are PS, EPS
and PDF READING - all writing of those three formats is done
internally.   (actually, we also use GS for font support if you don't
have FreeType installed and/or X11 fonts - but that's not directly
relevant here).

>and my configure
>run seems to find those. But there's no gs.a or gs.dll.a
>found -- no 'gslib' support.

	OK - that's not a problem.

>What's the impact of this?

	It means that anything that requires calling on GS will be
slower, because we have to "fork a shell" to run GS from the command
line instead of calling on the shared library directly.

>  What can't I~M~ do  without 'gslib'?

	Nothing.

>  And (I know it's a Cygwin question) why
>isn't there a Ghostscript library on my system, even
>though I have installed the latest and greatest gs
>package to Cygwin on my system? Does this mean that to
>have a 'gslib' I have to build GhostScript from source?

	Because I suspect the Cygwin version of GS doesn't include
the library - it may only come with the native Windows version.

LDR