List:       imagemagick-developer
Subject:    [magick-developers] Setting unsharp mask parameters from convert
From:       Cedric Maion <cmaion () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-04-25 9:47:26

Hello

I've just tried the unsharp mask filter of ImageMagick.
I find it quite good!
However, I've been surprised to have no way to set the "amount" and
"threshold" parameters (I tried from the convert command line tool).

I took a look at the sources.

- effects.c declares the following function:

MagickExport Image *UnsharpMaskImage(Image *image,const double radius,
  const double sigma,const double amount,const double threshold,
  ExceptionInfo *exception)

(which seems to be fine)

- image.c uses this function:
            radius=0.0;
            sigma=1.0;
            if (*option == '-')
              (void) sscanf(argv[++i],"%lfx%lf",&radius,&sigma);

unsharp_image=UnsharpMaskImage(*image,radius,sigma,1.0,0.05,
              &(*image)->exception);

That shows that the amount and threshold values are hardcoded. Is there
a rationnal?
Will you accept accept a patch that opens these two parameters for the
user? (and if necessary, provide the backward compatible notation with
the default values)

Regards,

	Cedric Maion

PS: I'm not on the list, so please directly reply to me also.