List:       imagemagick
Subject:    Re: Using ImageMagick in Windows98
From:       David T-G <davidtg () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2000-08-08 13:36:40

Shimon --

...and then Shimon Lebowitz said...
%
% Hi,
% I just recently discovered the existance of ImageMagick, and it looks
% like a dream come true!

Welcome!

% Big thank-you to the developers for this program, and for making it free!

Same from me :-)

%
% Unfortunately, even after i RTFM, i cannot figure out how to

Well, that's a start :-)

% get it to work under Windows98. I downloaded the zip file
% with the windows executables, and performed the setup
% as described in the user guide pdf file, but i think i am still
% missing something.

Let's see here...

%
% can someone please tell me in short, what is the basic command
% i need to use, under Windows, to:
%
% a) view a picture (mypic.jpg, in jpg format) using ImageMagick?

You probably won't be able to do this because display expects to be able
to write to an X desktop.  If you can get your hands on an X server
(MicroImages makes one that now costs, but they had a free version at one
time; eXceed and PCXware also provide X servers) for Win then you're in
business; if not, then you have to view your results with some other
program (Netscape, Paint, etcetc) based on what you are generating.

%
% b) resize a picture from 1600X1200 pixels to 640X480?

Once you have the package unzipped, you should be able to run the software
at least from the directory that was created (though you can put that
in your path and then get to it from anywhere).  If you didn't take the
default path (maybe c:\magick but I don't remember) then you'll have to
set some variables as well (MAGICK_DELEGATE_PATH or something close) to
point to the actual installation.

Once you get that going, it's just a matter of

  convert -geometry 640x480 picfile.jpg newfile.jpg

to resize it.  Note that convert will try to retain the aspect ratio of
the image; if you specified a different ratio, then convert would keep
the new image within the bounds of your specs but maintain the image
unless you appended a "!" to the geometry.  See the help output for
more...

%
% c) convert a picture from jpg format to bmp format?

This one is similar; try

  convert picfile.jpg picfile.bmp

and see what you think.

%
% Thank you!!

HTH & HAND

% Shimon

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) davidtg@bigfoot.com      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie