List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] Suggestions for NFS server configuration
From:       Chris F <chris.ldcs.co.in () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-15 20:52:59

drives, daily backup from drive 1 to drive 2 using rdist-backup. Data is
> written only to 1 drive. It has 4GB RAM. Small subnet - 3 fixed NFS clients

Maybe our config/setup is helpful for ideas, now or if you grow :

We use mdadm raid1 for all our boxes, NFS servers included.
It buys days of time after losing a disk before we have to replace it.
*Rdiff*-backup is used daily to another box, for box/site disaster and
hist archiving.

If intended for datacenter, then we now prefer Supermicro 1U small servers.
Previously we did use the cheapest Lenovo's but they would get wedged
sometimes, and require travel to DC to reboot.
Supermicro is no-frills, has IPMI for remote mgmt, and worked well for
us for years.
Downside is no hotplug, so have to bring box down for few minutes to
replace bad drive.
2x2.5 drives fit easily on the chassis we chose.

We use NFSv4 to export spare disk from all boxes to all boxes, with
home dirs local to each box.
Users are asked to keep dot files in home dir or any files they do not
need backed up.
Each is given work dir on nfs, visible on all boxes - these are backed
up by replicating periodically.
All network dirs are accessed through symlink, so recovery is manually
updating it to the working copy.
Sometimes we iscsi-export partition from diskrich box to diskpoor box
needing faster local disk than NFS can do.

Maint work is rare, triggered when hourly monitoring scripts report
failed / nearly full disks.

OS is Centos7 as it scales to enterprise quality - minus the
enterprise SAN cost :-)
Tightly controlled and uniform network, so just plain local Linux
security suffices.

- Chris