List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] passwordless login system
From:       Manokaran K <manokaran () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-29 7:36:19

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM, kanthan <cforcloud@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ILUGC,
>
> Recently I learned about a new way of authenticating - with no passwords.
> On every login, user gets a token a.k.a OTP via mail or SMS and stays
> logged in forever.

Staying logged in 'forever' dilutes the purpose of using authentication :-)

> I am planning to implement this in a mobile app using Codeigniter.
>
> Has anyone used this. Any good web apps with such system. Any pitfalls
> foreseen? Expert advice needed.

It is the 'second factor' in the 2 factor auth used for online credit
card transactions in India.

Pitfall is, anyone with access to your phone gets access to the
services that rely on this! If its mail, then you have to log in to
your email a/c to retreive this password - lil tedious. Every rose has
its thorns.

Cheers,
mano

~ Pablo Picasso