List:       ilugc
Subject:    [Ilugc] Help Required: WUBI root.disk corruption
From:       AnanthRK <ananthrk () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-29 5:12:30

I had Ubuntu 9.10 installed in Windows Vista via WUBI (Windows Ubuntu
installed). My laptop battery dried over the weekend and hence it was
automatically powered off. While booting up yesterday, it complained about
not being able to find wubldr (WUBI loader??). Hence, I booted up the
machine using an old Live CD (Ubuntu 7) to access the Linux filesystem.
While trying to mount the root.disk file (D:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), it
complained about an Input/Output error. I assumed it to be a file corruption
problem and ran "chkdsk /f". This seems to have wiped out the root.disk file
(it was close to 20 GB and I was already having disk usage issues in the
Linux partition).

I would like to salvage atleast some important files from this. I have tried
data recovery tools such as "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard", but even they
could not find the "root.disk" file in the said location.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any pointers to get back the
file would greatly help.

Thanks,
Ananth