List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] Out of memory
From:       Ashok Gautham <thescriptdevil () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-28 5:36:39

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Thoufi Tiger <thoufi_46@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working on a dual os system.I have allocated 4gb for Ubuntu,but now the \
> current memory space is 314 mb.I always got alert for low memory.I have another \
> drive of 6 gb. Pls suggest me,how to change my memory location to that drive.

[OffTopic]: As your blog suggests, if you are planning to completely
migrate to GNU/Linux, 4 GB is hardly adequate.

Your question suggests that you may not have understood the
layout of files and directories in *nix
Read this if you have time [Too-Much-Information warning]]
> http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

I do not know if a single logical partition can extend over multiple
physical drives. [I do not think it is straightforward if it is.
Can someone who knows how LVM actually works chip in?]

However, you could do this.

Assumption: Your new drive is /dev/sdXY

[sdXY can be sdb1 or sdc1 etc. Figure this out]

0. Optional: Create a partition on the drive [You will lose data already
on the drive]
   As root,
   # mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdXY

ext3 and ext4 are great too. But given the drive is just 6GB, I wonder
if there will be significant gains.

1. Create a mount-point
   # mkdir /extras

2. Add this line to /etc/fstab
   /dev/sdXY /extras ext2 defaults 0 1

This will mount the cause the partition to automount on /extras

3. Now, if you reboot, the partition would be mounted in /extras. Copy
   your non-critical files like music or documents to this partition.

   If you want to continue work without rebooting, do this
   [Needed only the first time]

   # mount /extras

4. You can confirm that the partition has been mounted by
   # mount
    > This lists the mounted partitions

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham