List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] Getting started in ruby
From:       Roshan Mathews <rmathews () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-30 7:28:27

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:57, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> it all depends on what is meant by a 'scripting language'. I had always
> thought that a scripting language is one where there is no need to
> compile the code in order to run it.

Some people use this definition:
  scripting languages are designed for gluing: they assume the existence
  of a set of powerful components and are intended primarily for connecting
  components together
  -- http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/scripting.html

That paper generated a lot of controversy [1], but is worth reading.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/c4b36dd81537e120/

--
http://roshan.mathews.in/