List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] [Opinion needed] Fast, stable and no-animation distro
From:       steve <steve () lonetwin ! net>
Date:       2010-06-30 19:52:06

Him

On 06/30/2010 08:41 PM, Ashish Bhatia wrote:
> Hi LUG members,
>
> [...snip...]
> I wonder which releases do LUG members recommend with following four features
> 1) User has good enough experience with system(most work is done from
> command line) the only reason to start X server for me is to run
> Firefox and pidgin
> 2) Plain interface similar to XFCE but does not crash
> 3) Is not memory hog (like KDE 4)
> 4) must be fast(user hates compiz and any such flying effects)

Just to be clear, you do know that all desktop effects are optional right ? In
GNOME go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects and turn it off. I also
recommend disabling Nautilus and other desktop 'daemons'
(System->Preferences->Startup applications) which you might consider unnecessary.

If you /do/ want to change your window manager, I recommend using WindowMaker.
It is ultra-fast, stable and has /very/ small memory footprint while also being
very usable (infact if you learn how to customize it, it'll be /very/ hard to
move away from it).

I speak from experience, I held out against moving to X as primary interface
till about 2004. I used to work almost 95% of the time on terminal - heading to
X only for browsing sites which were unusable in firefox (or whatever it was
called then). I did mail, chat, media all on the cli (and good looking cli too !
with SVGATextMode). Then I moved to using WindowMaker which kept me satisfied
till as recently as early 2009 -- after which i've moved to GNOME, mainly
because I got tired of making all the 'new' essential stuff like hal/udev/dbus,
NetworkManager, PulseAudio etc work correctly on WindowMaker.  Of course, i have
compiz and all other eye candy disabled.

hth,
cheers,
- steve

--