List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] Re: FOSS Achievement in REC- Enquired by Balachandar M.
From:       Prakash A S <asprakash83 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-30 9:53:23

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<lawgon@thenilgiris.com>wrote:

> On Friday 30 Oct 2009 11:38:37 am benedict nicholas wrote:
> > 4. Adopted FOSS as an Elective subject for B.E(CSE) students last year.
> >  This year also our HOD has approved it for the coming semester.
> >

> 5. many students of the college went to Bangalore on their own initiative
> and
> expense to attend inpycon2009

6.  Till now, I remember this argument with one of your staff. Last day I
talked about the FOSS migrations and asked to a staffs that, "why you are
using Visual Studio to run your C++ program in your lab?. Even many open
source IDEs can do it like Kdevelop, Eclipse,.etc". But that staff told,
"Bcoz in our syllabus they mentioned Visual Studio as a compulsory lab tool.
You better suggest our government to use Open Source IDEs instead VC++; Then
we will start using  FOSS IDEs". It was going like such a harsh argument
between me and your staff. Later all your staffs joined together and argued.
Immediately you interrupted and informed to them that, none of the
University says that We must use Commercial tools; They have given a sample
tools name. Thats it. We can also use FOSS IDEs or equivalent. Then they
compromised and accepted that their thought was not true. According to me,
its another achievement for you. Now your staffs understand that "Commercial
tools are not compulsory and FOSS tools can be used in academic areas"

Not only in your college, in many colleges staffs are misunderstand this
word from their syllabus, "Any C++ compilers/IDEs like Visual Studio or
equivalent". When you visit staffs from other colleges, please inform to the
same. Bcoz FOSS cannot be reach students, until they (staffs) not ready to
accept it.

All the Best and many thanks to Benedict.

-A-S-Prakash-
http://asprakash.wordpress.com